Search This Blog

Monday 31 March 2014

Hard Candy Beetle and Orly Liquid Vinyl Review + Swatches

Hi guys,
Today I have 2 polishes for you, I layered one over the other. This is my first time reviewing a multichrome so it's be quite a picture heavy post. Hope you enjoy!

Hard Candy Beetle over Orly Liquid Vinyl
The base colour I used was Orly's Liquid Vinyl, their answer to a straight up black polish. I bought this when I was in the US last year, otherwise Orly's aren't that easy to come by in Australia. I found this polish to be very smooth but maybe a tad thin as it flooded my cuticles and needed to 2 coats for opacity. It was quite easy to clean up around the cuticles though, the polish removed well with my brush and q-tips. Liquid Vinyl is just a black creme and it has quite a shiny finish on its own and should provide a good base for multichromes.
Orly Liquid Vinyl
Orly Liquid Vinyl
The second polish I used was Hard Candy's Beetle. This is now discontinued and was available at Walmart in the US. I bought this off ebay in January, its supposedly a hard to find, but it wasn't too expensive, $15 with shipping I think. I haven't used a multichrome like this before, the only ones I have are some Chian Glaze Bohemians and the formula is very different. Beetle looked to be made up of little shards of multichrome flakie. I wouldn't call it glitter, it's too fine and lies flat on the nail. Its too big to be shimmer though. I used 2 coats over Liquid Vinyl and 2 coats of Poshe on top to smooth it out.

Hard Candy Beetle - Shade
The following pics show the colour change, the pictures are a bit overexposed but you get the idea.

Hard Candy Beetle - Shade
Hard Candy Beetle - Shade
In natural light it changes from a pinky plum colour through to a gold and then yellow. There's a bit of a green flash as well. This polish was very smooth, a bit thin but easy to manage. the hardest part was cleaning up the flakies from around my nail.

I also took some underwater photos, haven't done those before either, and it shows the colour change so much better, plus some colours you wouldn't normally see.

Hard Candy Beetle - Underwater
Hard Candy Beetle - Shade
Hard Candy Beetle - Shade
I like the underwater pics! You can see the full colour range on each nail, especially the last photo. It goes to blue at the very end which is cool.

I hope you guys enjoyed these swatches, I've got some Polish Me Silly multichromes on the way too which is exciting!

See you guys next time!

Pins, Patterns and Polish

No comments:

Post a Comment