Search This Blog

Saturday 28 June 2014

OPI Sheer Tints Nail Art + Review

Hi guys,
So today I have the OPI Sheer Tints and a little nail art i did with them. Originally i wasn't too thrilled about this collection, but the more I saw of what people were doing with them, the more I wanted them. And a friend mentioned that the mini sets were available at David Jones, so I hightailed it over there to grab one. Yes I broke my no buy *hangs head in shame* but on the other hand I have my very own set of Sheer Tints!

OPI Sheer Tints Mini Collection
After perusing other blogs and seeing the lead lighting technique where you colour in stamped images I was in love and had to get my hands on some. Having a mini set was the perfect opportunity as I could try all the colours for close to the price of a normal bottle ($24.95). Normally I'd wait until they were on sale but I hadn't see these out before anywhere and I think they may be a David Jones exclusive as Myer doesn't have them. Of course the Buy One Get One Half Price doesn't apply to sets :/ so silly. Anyhow here are the Sheer Tints in their packaging, which is a littel diffferent to the normal OPI minis sets.

OPI Sheer Tints Mini Collection
The names of all the polishes are on the pack and are as follows:
Yellow: Amberessed
Pink: Be Magentale With Me
Purple: Don't Violet Me Down
Blue: I Can Teal You Like Me
I'm not a fan of the names and will just call them by their colours. One thing that baffles me a bit is the choice of colours for the Sheer Tints. I would expect primary colours (yellow, red and blue), but the inclusion of a secondary colour like purple (which can be made with by layering the Pink and Blue Sheer Tints) is a bit strange. A black Sheer Tint would have been awesome! Here's a pick of the bottles all lined up.

OPI Sheer Tints Mini Collection
I love how these have white caps, it makes them stand out from the other minis I have. So onto the formula. You'll notice that these are marketed as "Top Coats", it even says it right on the bottle. I found this interesting but it does make sense. This is what sets the Sheer Tints apart from jellies like Zoya's Gloss Collection. The Sheer Tints are very sheer and not really recommended for applying straight to your nails without undies. If you want a hint of colour you can do that, but that's not why I bought these. I wanted to do some watercolour nail art with them! And here it is;

OPI Sheer Tints Watercolour  Art - Sun
I know every blogger has done a mani like this, but I wanted to try it out for myself! I applied 2 coats of OPI My boyfriend Scales Walls and I just doted and swiped some of each colour on the nail, overlapping in parts to create different colours like green and orange. This was so easy to create! I read that the Sheer Tints were very thick and could be stringy and gloopy so I added a few drops of thinner to each bottle before I started. I had no stringing problems until the end of my second hand where the polish became difficult to handle. So I added some more thinner when I was done. If adding thinner doesn't appeal to you, stay clear of these.

OPI Sheer Tints Watercolour  Art - Shade
The finished look was very soft and a mix between tie-dye and watercolour.  I love this. It was so easy to create as well! I noticed that the colours are a bit more vibrant on my left hand (which I painted second) as the polish was thickening up. the Sheer Tints are good for layering over themselves or other colours to create a different look. I personally like htem over a white base or maybe over silver to get a multicoloured chrome effect. Although these are marketed as top coats, I applied my Poshé to speed up the drying.

OPI Sheer Tints Watercolour  Art - Shade
 So there you have it, another Sheer Tints review. what do you guys think of these and will you be getting some of your own?

See you next time for some fairy dusting action and stamping :)

Pins, Patterns and Polish






No comments:

Post a Comment