Search This Blog

Monday 6 October 2014

Revlon by Marchesa Wraps Review

Hey guys,
Today's will be a quick post as I'm kinda strapped for time! This post features a product that I haven't tried yet, although they've been around for a while and I've owned some for nearly a year! I present to you Revlon by Marchesa nail appliqués in the design Gilded Mosaic.

Revlon by Marchesa Nail Appliqués in Gilded Mosaic
I am not the kind of person who uses wraps for a full manicure (and frankly with these wraps it wouldn't be possible anyway) so today's post is an add on to my last mani. I found these wraps on clearance at Myer's for $5, considering the RRP is $15 I'm pretty stoked to get them. As I mentioned previously I have owned several designs for a while but always felt they were 'too special' to use for every day nails. Well after finding another set last week i decided to take the plunge. 

Revlon by Marchesa Nail Appliqués in Gilded Mosaic
These nail wraps are different to last set I reviewed which were by Scratch. The Revlon wraps are not made from real nail polish, but rather a plastic type of base with added 'jewel' on top. They are very textured which makes sense with the 3D claim that Revlon makes. Each set comes with 18 individual appliqués in 9 sizes so most people should be able to do a full manicure using one set of wraps. Unfortunately I am not most people (according to the sizes).

Revlon by Marchesa Nail Appliqués in Gilded Mosaic - Sun
 Don't get me wrong, I do like the wraps, but there are certain things about them that will make me hesitate in using them again. First of all, I was going for accent nails only, which means I only needed wraps for my thumbs and ring finger. There was one size in the pack that fit each of these fingers. All the other sizes are either too small for my thumb, index and middle finger or too large for my pinky. What I'm trying to say is, if I wanted to do a full mani using these wraps, I wouldn't be able to find a correct fitting size for my index and middle fingers. This means I can't use the remainder of the wraps on anything but my pinky which is weird . . .

Revlon by Marchesa Nail Appliqués in Gilded Mosaic - Sun
Compared to the scratch nail wraps, the Revlon are very thick and not flexible. I have a strong C curve on all my nails excepting the thumb, so there were 'bubble' where the wrap couldn't accommodate this curve. Next time I use them I think I will make a small incision on each side to make them less bubbly/wrinkled. They fit my thumbs pretty perfectly though, so if your nails aren't strongly curved these will be good for you. 

Thumb Nail - Sun
The wraps are super adhesive, so they stick really well! This a big plus for me as I was worried these would come off really easily. Filing the end of the wraps was a bit of a hassle. I'm used to the Scratch ones were you can fold it over the free edge and file underneath the nail, allowing the appliqué to be wrapped around the tip of the nail. It doesn't work for the Revlon wraps as they're too thick. Also, because they're made of plastic you get little pieces sticking out from the edge of the nail that wouldn't file off. You can only really see it in the sun but as the tips wear it becomes more obvious. 

Revlon by Marchesa Nail Appliqués in Gilded Mosaic - Shade
I can't really talk about wear time as I only wore these for 3 days. On the second day I went rock climbing and surprisingly these lasted really well! The edges didn't peel up, they didn't get scratched, but there was a bit of tip wear which really irked me as the ends of my nails were 'fluffy'. So for wear time these are pretty good. I do have to state that I didn't do any chores, it was only showering, washing my hair and swimming that would have affected these. I didn't do any dishwashing. Also, I didn't top coat these, I tried it on one nail, big mistake! These are NOT solvent resistant, so don't use top coat! I also didn't use a base coat, but next time I will.

Revlon by Marchesa Nail Appliqués in Gilded Mosaic - Sun
When removing the wraps the packaging says to peel them from the cuticle like with a peel off base coat. I tried this on my thumb and the adhesive pulled the top layer of my nail off at the tip, so don't do this unless you're wearing a base coat. For the rest of my nail I used the foil method and then peeled the remainder of the wraps on which was much easier. I had to use acetone to get rid of the sticky residue. 

Overall I like having an intricate design on my nail and the wear is pretty darn good, but there are a few things to consider when using these. I hope this review will help you to decide if this is something you're looking into. 

So that's my experience with these wraps. Have you tried them yet?

Pins, Patterns and Polish

No comments:

Post a Comment